Residents of Thomas County, Georgia are about to find out what happens when everyone in a community reads the same book at the same time as they embark on the first-ever “One Books Community-Wide Reading Event.” Organizers recently announced the much-anticipated book: Mitch Albom’s “The Time Keeper.” The book was revealed at the Flaunt 2013 Opening Night Party on Friday, September 6th at Grassroots Coffee Co. in Thomasville, Georgia. In the weeks leading up to the event, copies of the book were distributed through local libraries, bookshops, senior centers, and high schools. As the month progresses, Thomas County residents will be able to attend various tie-in events, lectures, and family-friendly activities, including art installations, a night of poetry and music, and a lecture on the existence of time by physicist Dr. Harrison Prosper. (Scroll down for a full list of events, dates, and times!)
33 local artists presented their works, inspired by Time and Literacy, at the Flaunt kick-off event on September 6th.
To celebrate the occasion, Mitch will visit the Thomasville Center for the Arts to meet readers and talk about “The Time Keeper” on September 26th at 7:00 PM. Nancy Tillinghast, the director of the Thomas County Public Library System, shared her excitement over the One Book project: “A shared event like this brings the community together in a positive and fun way. How better to celebrate reading and raise awareness for literacy in Thomas County than through a community read? We are especially thrilled that a nationally recognized author will be spending an evening with us.”
For more information go to the Thomasville Center for the Arts website: www.thomasvillearts.org.
During September, Thomas County residents can enjoy a number of interesting tie-in events:
- Thomasville Center for the Art’s Flaunt 2013 public art installation, plein air paint-out, window design exhibition, and “little free libraries,” small art installations around Thomasville that will hold a variety of donated books.
- September 10th, 2:00 PM--Make Time for One Book: A special program at the Pavo Public Library.
- September 14th, 5:00 PM (Rain date: September 21st at 5:00 PM)--A Time to Play: The Scholar’s Academy’s Creative Thinking Class and downtown Thomasville merchants will have interactive, family-friendly board games along Broad Street.
- September 16th, at 2:00 PM--A Time to Discuss: A book discussion at The Boston Carnegie Library.
- September 17th, at 6:00 PM--A Time to Discuss: Dr. Jay Snodgrass and Maria T. Studebaker-Coppage from Southwest Georgia Technical College and Dr. Sandra Simonds from Thomas University will lead a book discussion at the Thomasville library.
- September 21st, at 7:30 PM--A Time to Listen: A community night of poetry and music will be held at Grassroots.
- September 24th, at 6:30 PM--A Time to Learn: Physicist Dr. Harrison Prosper will talk about the existence of time at a Science Café held at Thomas University’s Hawk’s Nest.